Cookies and Interest Based Advertising Policy
What are Cookies?
What Types of Cookies are Used on our Site and What Do We Use Them For?
SpotHero uses “first party cookies,” i.e., those that are used solely by us or by third parties who act only on our instructions or on our behalf. These types of cookies are used for our own analysis of our own Site, or to provide functionality such as remembering your preferences.
Other cookies on our Site are used both by us for the purposes described in this policy and by third parties for purposes where those third parties may wish to combine information from our Site with information from other sites to improve their services. For example, these types of cookies may be used for interest-based advertising purposes.
The cookies used on our Site, by either us or by third parties, can be “session” cookies, or “persistent” cookies. “Session” cookies are deleted automatically when you close your browser, and are used for things like ensuring you are kept logged in as you navigate around our Sites. “Persistent” cookies remain stored on your device or browser even after you close it. These cookies are used, for example, to recognize you when you come back to our Site.
We divide the cookies we use into the categories below:
- Required Cookies - Required cookies are essential for the provision of the Site and any requested services. On some platforms, you can delete all cookies, but this may affect the basic functionality of the Site.
- Performance Cookies - Performance cookies provide statistical information on Site usage (i.e., web analytics) and are used for purposes like troubleshooting Performance cookies are important for us to provide you with a great experience when you visit our Site. On some platforms, you can delete all cookies, but this may affect the basic functionality of the Site.
- Functionality Cookies - Functionality cookies allow the provision of enhanced functionality and personalization. For example, if you have visited our Site previously so we can remember your preferences from past visits. On some platforms, you can delete all cookies, but this may affect the basic functionality of the Site.
- Targeting/Advertising Cookies - Targeting cookies allow us to collect information for use in targeted advertising on third party sites which you may visit. Such information is based on your preferences and your usage of our Site. You can change your cookie preferences with respect to targeting/advertising cookies at any time using the “Cookie Preference Center” tool available in the footer of our Site.
Your Cookie Choices
Browsers. When you visit our Site, you can update your settings through the “Cookie Preference Center” link available in our Site footer in the bottom right hand corner. Please keep in mind that, without cookies, you may not have access to certain features on our Site. Removing all cookies from your computer could also affect your subsequent visits our Site by requiring that, for example, you enter your login name when you return to our Site.
In addition to the above, there are also other ways to opt-out of having your online activity and device data collected, which we have summarized below:
- Blocking cookies in your browser. Most browsers let you remove or reject cookies, including cookies used for interest-based advertising. To do this, follow the instructions in your browser settings. Many browsers accept cookies by default until you change your settings. For more information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
- Blocking mobile device cookies. If you no longer wish to receive interest-based advertising on your mobile applications, please refer to your device’s operating system settings and follow these instruction: (i) iOS users: To use the "Limit Ad-Tracking" option, follow the instructions provided by Apple here: Apple Support Center; (ii) Android Users: To use the "opt-out of interest-based advertising" option, follow the instructions provided by Google here: Google Play Help
- Using privacy plug-ins or browsers. You can block our Site from setting cookies used for interest-based ads by using a browser with privacy features or installing browser plugins and configuring them to block third party cookies/trackers.
- Google opt-out. Google offers opt-out features that let you opt-out of use of your information for interest-based advertising.
- Advertising industry opt-out tools. You can also use these opt-out options to limit use of your information for interest-based advertising by participating companies: Digital Advertising Alliance and Network Advertising Initiative
Note that because these opt-out mechanisms are specific to the device or browser on which they are exercised, you will need to opt-out on every browser and device that you use.